Monday, March 5, 2012

Fancy Peacocks

I have been seeing beautiful peacock artwork on teacher blogs and Pinterest a lot lately, so I hopped on the bandwagon and did a peacock lesson of my own.  This was the first lesson that I tried out my new liquid watercolors and I have to say, I am quite impressed.  We first drew the peacocks with Sharpies and painted the background using the liquid watercolors in cool colors.  Next, I passed out cool colored oil pastels and instructed the students to draw the 'eyes' on the feathers right on top of the watercolor paint.  The oil pastels I use are Portfolio, so if we had drawn the 'eyes' on the feathers before the paint, the oil pastels would have washed away since they are water soluble.  Otherwise, traditional oil pastels would have worked fine before the paint was applied.  Here are some samples of 3rd grade peacocks:

 Tyler's Peacock

 Elise's Peacock

Noah's Peacock


1 comment :

  1. Beautiful! I like how you used different media. I like to use mixed media for my kids too....it brings out creativity, and is fun!

    ReplyDelete